Monday 21 January 2013

Vicious motherboards

Work was OK today - because I did it from home again. More snow in the night and morning meant I wasn't going to chance it. It was nice being able to fully concentrate and have my own choice of music on in the background. In this case it was the early Pantera stuff that they did before Cowboys from Hell. I was always vaguely aware that they'd had a sort of Glam Metal existence before, but never really heard it. It's not bad though, the early albums are a little dodgy but it gets a lot better.

At lunchtime I tried to get the water working again but there must still be ice in the pipe as the pump gets so far and then stops.

In the evening I realised that my Xbox 360 hadn't moved in probably four years or so and it was probably full of dust. Since the warranty is long gone, I decided to take it apart a bit and clean it out. This ended up turning into a complete stripdown to the bare motherboard, removing the heatsinks and replacing the thermal paste with Arctic Silver 5. I managed to cut my finger quite badly on a solder joint as I was trying to get the ridiculous X clamps off. But it finally went back together, and by this time I was convinced I'd killed it, so when it powered up I was quite surprised. It's been running Saints Row 3 quite happily for an hour or so now so I think all is good. I was kind of hoping that the fans might quieten down now it's all clean with new paste but apparently not.

Snow or not, I do have to go into the office tomorrow to meet with an external person. So long as it doesn't go crazy in the night it should be OK, but I'm not sure if I'll get back. We'll see.

No comments: