Sunday 25 November 2007

Acting drunk, and seeing my nephew off to the army

Yesterday was another Heroes fest. Rob, Em, Vicky and I went into Andy's house and watched the remaining episodes of Heroes that we needed to catch up on. Only two left, and they're being shown on Wednesday. I'm actually out with some people from work at a meal, so I'll have to leave my Mum with detailed instructions to record them. She has a monopoly of the TV all the time, so it's only fair that she can record something for me for once.

The day was also enlivened by lots of alcohol (except for the drivers, Em and myself) and Andy's home-made lemon cake, the fairly horrific Wales vs South Africa game and some totally random conversations. It's interesting how you can kind of adopt the mindset of someone drunk and join in the inane conversation. Some of the stuff was so random (and indeed disgusting) that it can't be repeated here. The perpetrator knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Today I played some more Mario Galaxy (up to 60 stars) and went to my sister's house. My nephew is going off to the army tomorrow and after his basic training, will be going to Afghanistan round about September time. Bit weird though, he was born when I was 10 and I remember it well. Scary that he's now taller than me. He seems to be quite calm about the whole business, but then he's always had a chirpy optimistic view of the world and gets on with pretty much everyone, so hopefully he'll be fine.Several of my brother-in-law's relations came round to wish him well too, so it became quite a gathering. Even my brother called from Berlin to speak to him.

Next weekend, my other brother and his wife are coming up. I saw them in March in Berlin, but I haven't seen my nieces for a while, so it'll be good to see them again. One of them is due to give birth to a girl in January, causing much dismay to the future grandfather and great-grandfather (not because of the actual pregnancy, but the being a grandfather part). Not to mention the future great-uncles and great-aunt. It sounds so old somehow to be a great-uncle.

Image is from Superdickery, cited as the best use of shapeshifting powers ever. I have to agree.

No comments: