Thursday 8 November 2007

Soup, stuff and touch video

Work was not notable. Except I went to to the delicatessen which does great sandwiches. At this time of year though, they also do nice soup and I had some of the Cream of Vegetable. It's really tasty and you get a bread roll with it. Superb.

This evening I experimented with a program called Handbrake that Steve told me about. It lets you rip DVDs into formats suitable for playing on iPods and things. I used the Linux version which operates solely from the command line. Even then it was a simple matter to rip a DVD into the 480x320 resolution of the iPod touch. The resultant file was small and looked great on the device itself. The first test was Rubber Johnny, as it's only short and was only 48mb. The next test was Star Wars Episode III which squidged into a 1.1gb file. It worked, but the aspect ratio wasn't right, so it was stretched. Played OK though.

I'm really happy with the Touch. I just wish I could have got the 16gb version and I'm sure there'll be a 32gb version when flash prices drop. If I could afford it, I'd certainly pick one up if it came out.

No comments: