Friday 2 November 2007

Back

The course finished at half twelve or thereabouts, so I wandered around a bit before trying to get a train. It was a good course to be fair.

I happened to go into a guitar shop in Denmark Street just as they had a load of guitars come in. I'd been in there before and examined a 1960's Gibson EB-2 (£2,500) and a 1960's Precision Bass in Candy Apple Red (£1995). Not the most expensive, one place there had an immaculate 1963 Strat for £27,500.

So they had some great stuff in there. But as they unpacked this load of guitars, I watched in amazement as vintage Les Pauls were briefly examined and put carelessly on stands, along with a couple of vintage Jazz Basses, and even a Mustang and MusicMaster.

But then they unpacked a black Rickenbacker 4003 (just like the pic above). One of my objectives for this week in London was to play one and so far I hadn't found one. So I asked the guy if I could have a go on it. He quickly hooked it up to a massive amp and left me to it. And wow. This has been one of those things where I was worried that I'd hyped it to myself so much that the real thing would be a big let-down.

But what an instrument. It felt right in every conceivable way, the shape, weight, style, the neck, the sound, everything. It wasn't perfect, the pickup switch was a little wobbly and the E string was too quiet (easy fixes), but what a bass. Oddly enough they unpacked two exactly the same except one was fretless, though I didn't try that one. Also in another place I had a quick go on an example of the tiny rubber stringed Ashbory bass, and in the same place, a full scale double bass, which was interesting.

I didn't inquire as to the price of the 4003. They are not all that common in the UK, and command a huge premium. The answer would have just depressed me anyway.

The train back from Euston was a nightmare. I didn't get a seat until Crewe.

It's odd to be back. Despite my complaints, I'd sort of got used to London. I did take my camera, but as I didn't really do anything touristy, I didn't actually take any pictures.

My feet are killing me. My work shoes suck for walking around in and I've done a hell of a lot of that over the last few days.

No comments: