Tuesday 16 November 2010

Argh

Today was meh, spent quite some time sorting out a ludicrouus amount of CDs that had accumulated in the Ruthin office. Mostly it was Microsoft Volume Licensing CDs, which they used to send out on a regular basis with copies of basically everything the company made, so there was a hell of a lot of them, and then there were even more of random software and crap. They all went into a box to go and be shredded.

While waiting for things to copy and stuff this evening, found a random CD-R and shoved it into the Xbox to see what it was. It was an old compilation I had made about 10 years ago that had various things on it, but it had a Limp Bizkit track on it which reminded me that for a short period I was obsessed with the Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavoured Water album, and also the Hybrid Theory by Linkin Park. I seem to remember I lost my taste for the CDs and trashed them. but thanks to the miracle of YouTube I was able to have a listen to them again. Really didn't like the Linkin Park one, but thought the Limp Bizkit one was OK. I still Fred Durst is a total cunt though and his stupid whiney voice is so annoying.

Not much else going on. The lefty bass has been separated from its neck and put on Ebay, with one bid alread and loads of watchers, and the Alphasmart Neo that got no bids at all with a £45 starting bid is now up to £50 with 5 bids from a £40 start.. I really don't understand Ebay sometimes.

Trying to clone my music playing Dell Latitude D400 onto a new 160gb drive to replace the shit and noisy 40gb drive in it, but it's proving hard to do as the first program I tried was a piece of crap. I used the machine as a regular laptop up until about a year ago and now it seems so sluggish. It was another frankenstein from a couple of dead D400s, and it's always been reliable. If it didn't have a soldered CPU I might look into a faster one for it but that would involve a motherboard swap.

Virtualisation is the best thing ever, it makes it so easy to play with operating systems and software without having to have loads of machines., and is good for trying out software that might be unsuitable to be installed on a main machine. Performance on the Acer 7741g is really good, nearly as fast as running natively. Ubuntu 10.10 in particular is very good on it.

Somehow left one of the car windows open last night so it got rather damp inside. Seems to have dried out OK. The driver's side window is still playing up and the door card is broken again. That door needs some serious attention now, but I just can't summon up the energy to pull it to bits again. Got a long weekend coming up though as my Mum is on a course so I might have a look then. I think the door needs rewiring but not sure what's involved in doing that.

The second program I used to clone the D400 has worked, hurrah. Its a much faster drive and seems to have helped speed it up.

No comments: