Saturday 20 November 2010

Taking things apart

Yesterday was a silly day. First I had to go to Ruthin for an eye test. I've got an updated prescription but also a referral to the hospital to have a more indepth test of my eye dominance issue and a possible cataract forming in my right eye.

On the way home had to reverse for someone on a country lane, but when I braked, there was mud on the road and the car slewed into the hedge. Unfortunately there was a fairly substantial tree hidden in it, and it buckled the tailgate in enough to smash the window. I got home and phoned the scrappy in Llandudno and they had one in. Then in the evening took my Mum to a writing event in Hawarden.

Woke up this morning feeling quite rough, not quite a cold but something similar. Typically this would happen when I've got a couple of days off work.

Today went and picked up the tailgate. It's from an S-reg Focus and is the light shade of blue rather than the dark blue mine is but not fussed. My Dad and I got it on OK, but some of the interior trim had to be taken out to get the electrics hooked up, and it was such a pain getting it back. The tailgate opens and closes but isn't lined up quite right and there's a bit of a gap at one side. We tried several time to line it up properly but with no success, might see if I can get some advice from a friendly bodyshop as there's probably some art to it.

Got home and decided to try the lefty neck on the doubleneck. Much to my astonishment it fitted absolutely perfectly without any problems at all. It needs some new strings on that neck as they were cut for the righty neck, and the nut still needs to be replaced, but so far it looks good. It's rather frustrating actually as it showed that if I'd got a lefty neck before the bodies were joined, the necks could have been at least three inches closer together, making the body smaller overall. As it's already painted it's not really possible to chop it about again. The headstocks aren't identical, but it looks loads better than it did with the old neck on it. I've ordered a suitable nut and will put some new strings on it and then set it up, but so far the lefty neck feels quite good. I listed the left handed body on Ebay and it went for£46, so the lefty neck will have cost me about £34 or so, which is pretty good really.

I know I'm not feeling 100% because when I was driving home, I had a tremendous urge to pick up a couple of Pot Noodles, curry flavour.

No comments: