Friday 9 September 2011

Flumpd

A slow but not totally unproductive day. Went to the gym after work which went OK and I felt great afterwards. Still having trouble sorting my diet out but I think the gym is starting to have an effect. I wish that

a) I wasn't scared of treadmills
b) I could run

because there are more of them than any other machine. There was a guy running on one this evening and he made barely any noise at all, whereas if I try and run on one it's like an elephant clumping along. It's probably my weight but I don't know how some people run so lightly.

Finished DS9 season one this evening which came as a bit of a surprise as I didn't realise I was that close to the end. It was a lot better than I remembered it being. Yes there were some crap episodes but it picked up towards the end, and the last few were pretty good. It had a better start than TNG I reckon.

Fender are releasing a Kurt Cobain signature Jaguar. It looks quite cool I suppose if you like Jaguars (I'm not a fan) but it seems rather against the idealogy of Nirvana given how they destroyed guitars all the time and Kurt hated the being famous part of it all. What I'm more worried about is that it's being release in time for the 20th anniversary of Nevermind. WTF!!!!!

Not much else to report. The bike frame still looks good. I'm going to put the clearcoat on tomorrow and then it's a case of letting it dry for a good month or so, preferably longer. Still, that gives me the time to get a list of parts I need to make it into a fixed gear, basically a pair of wheels, crankset and chain really.

Noticed the Galaxy S had hit about 40% battery so checked how long it had been since it was charged and was slightly gobsmacked to see that it had been nearly five days. Amazing. The new battery usage page is great as it shows when things like the screen and wifi have been used and what the phone signal has been like.

Had a go on the 8-string bass. I absolutely love it. The doubled strings make such a nice sound, except perhaps the unwound octave G-string which is a little harsh. I've got quite adept at playing just the bass strings which means it can also sound like a normal bass. If I had lots of spare cash, I'd strip it down, give it a new finish, replace the pickups and electronics and put the spare Schaller 8-string bridge on it. I still have fond memories of seeing a Dean Rhapsody 12-string bass in Chester, same idea but two octave strings. It sounded astonishing and wasn't too hard to play. Sadly it was £475, no way could I justify that.

No comments: