Sunday 22 April 2012

Landsmeet

A decent day despite crazy unpredictable weather ranging from warm sunshine to outright hailstorms.

I still haven't found my copy of Robots and Empire so I started reading It again. Weird book and long. After a lazy morning I headed down to Rob and Em's with lunch and snacks. I was expecting them to be in the midst of sanding the floor but due to it being a very late one last night Rob in particular was a little worse for wear. Still, a sandwich and some jaffa cakes perked him up and we hung out for a bit which was nice.

After that I came home and attempted to recreate a German style potato salad I had in Berlin while we were at the Olympic Stadium. It's not potato salad as we have it, as it is warm with different stuff in it and was really tasty. I used a recipe I found online and it came out pretty close although a bit stodgier. There was rather a lot of it though so I've put some aside for lunch in work.

Tried to reimage the M17x with mirrrored disks instead of the striped disks it has now but ran into problems since Windows backup doesn't like restoring to a smaller partition. There's a way around it but I got bored and put it back how it was for now. I was curious to see if there as any performance difference. Not that I have any complaints when it comes to the performance of the machine, except it seems to take an extraordinarily long time to come out of hibernation. I wish SSDs would drop in price - I'd put them in all my machines if I could.

Played some more Dragon Age and reached the Landsmeet which seems to be the penultimate bit before the final battle, which was interesting and fun in the way it played out. In a way I wish Mass Effect, in particular 3, had been more like Dragon Age, which seems to be a much more complicated game than ME did. It's been over a year since I started playing it, so it really does feel like an epic adventure is finally drawing to a close. I keep thinking back over the game and there's definitely been a lot of interesting stuff in it and different places to explore. So far I've logged 40 hours or so on it - about the same as my first ME playthrough, but that I did in four days. Despite preferring sci-fi settings over fantasy, I've really enjoyed Dragon Age.

Back to work tomorrow. I have a feeling it's going to be an interesting day.

No comments: