Thursday 12 July 2012

We're gonna need more paint

After all the hassle with the derailleur on my main bike, I remembered the fixed gear one that my Dad and I put together on the cheap a while back. It's basically the remains of my cousin's old bike, made into a fixed gear using a mountain bike rear wheel put on backwards with a sprocket attached to where the disk brake should go. Anyway I dragged it out and pumped up the tyres. It actually works OK, but the front brake (the only brake) is crap. I tried to adjust it but came to the conclusion the problem was with the lever rather than the brake itself. I've only ridden it up and down outside the house, so I'm thinking about taking out for a proper ride this weekend to see what it's like and perhaps get a couple of decent tyres for it since the ones on it are ancient cast offs although the front wheel is a 700c so not the same as the back.

I took a day off today for the first time since April, since things calmed down in work in a bit. Went to help Steve with his house. We got the furniture sorted out and got a good start going on the living room, so that was decent. Also it was properly sunny for the first time in a while so we were able to take a break and have pizza and tea in the garden, which was nice. I took a break to nip to Halfords and grab a brake lever for the fixed gear, but they only come in pairs obviously. If the rear wheel was the right size it could have a rear brake, but to do that I'd need a 700c disc mount wheel with a 135mm wide hub which aren't very common.

While I was at Steve's, I turned on the data access on my Galaxy S so Steve could make sure it worked before he switched over to Vodafone. I got an Edge signal that worked fine, which means that ICS must have sorted out the data side of things because it never worked before. Unfortunately the Ebay app decided to go and update which promptly ate a quids worth of credit - the perils of data access on PAYG. At least I know it works though, could be handy.

The Galaxy S has actually been pretty decent since the upgrade, especially since it was never supposed to be able to run ICS at all. It's not completely perfect, there is a very slight lag at certain points, but it's certainly livable with. I knew that the finish on one corner was cracked, but now it's finally started to come off, so it's looking a bit more lived in now. But it's still going strong, absolutely brilliant phone.

Bradley Wiggins and the Sky team are still doing well in the Tour. Promising signs, if they actually win it would be ace. Wiggins is certainly an interesting character, I like the way he just says exactly what he thinks and adds a good dose of profanity where appropriate. I'm always slightly in awe at how they can cycle so far day after day, that level of fitness is hard to comprehend.

No comments: