Friday 30 November 2012

Achieving the impossible

It's been a curious week in work. Today we had a meeting with external people about the state and future of our backup system, which always means talking to people who have a lot more knowledge and experience, leaving me feeling somewhat inadequate. Today though, the guy asked if we we having issues. Are your backups finishing on time? Yep. Are you having migration problems? Nope. Reclamation problems? Nope. His response - 'Bliss!' He had been dealing with a system that backs up 27,000 nodes and holds several petabytes of data and has many, many issues, so our fairly issue of our server retaining too much data was child's play to him.

Badminton was good this evening. Many varied games and it was quite an active evening since there were a few less people, so plenty of games. It was good fun, but very tiring, in a good way.

The M15x ended while I was out, for £20 more than I paid for it a year ago. Somehow I've achieved the impossible - made a profit on a computer, assuming the buyer pays for it. I've got vague plans to get SSDs for the M17x and M11x. A guy in work was saying how nice Windows 8 is, not so much the new Modern UI stuff, but the improvements that make it much faster. Since it's quite cheap for an upgrade license, especially if you download it, I'm quite tempted to try it on the M17x, but at the same time, I'm not sure if it's just too early and should wait for a service pack. It does seem very Marmite though, people seem to either love or hate it. I've played with it in a VM.

Busy tomorrow, off to my Dad's in the morning and then it's Steve's Chrismassy bring-your-own bottle thing, which will be fun.

No comments: