Tuesday 20 November 2012

Work trauma

Friday and the weekend were good. It was off to Rob and Em's to watch the rugby and consume snacks. The rugby wasn't much fun since Wales lost to Somalia but we did get through a lot of pizza.

I was all set to have a lazy fat weekend but Andy and Maz suggested a bike ride on Saturday, so at least that helped mitigate things a little. Sunday wasn't particularly good though as I developed something of a fascination with cheesy nachos. On Saturday I watched the Inbetweeners movie, which was OK and a nice ending to it all, but made me never want to go to Malia, ever, and completely randomly, Cocoon, becuase I remember it being out way back when. That was OK, somewhat strange though.

The Inbetweeners is funny but does hit slightly close to home, since high school was a rather shitty experience for me all round. The Inbeweeners is set in 6th form, which I never did, but it felt scarily similar. Hated it completely, and I think I still have issues with things because of it. Also I think I should have done a lot better than I did in my GCSEs because of that ridiculous attitude that if you were good at things you were a swot and to be tormented. Grr, just thinking about it pisses me off. I wonder how life would have turned out if I had done psychology instead of IT at college as I briefly considered.

Work has been OK since I went back in yesterday. Not much happened while I was off, so that was good, but things are piling up thick and fast that need to be looked at. In a way it's good because they are new and challenging, but at the same time trying to coordinate the time to get them done is proving a bit of a nightmare, especially when you have a slightly hysterical manager trying to do many things at once. Things are coming together though and I think I'm getting a much better grip of the backup system now, which is a nice feeling.

Randomly tried to make my own Spezi today by getting a can of Coke and a can of Fanta out of the vending machine. I wasn't sure what ratios to try so first I tried half and half which wasn't particularly good, and then found one part Fanta to four parts Coke seems to work nicely. Not as good as a proper bottle of Mezzo Mix though, damn I love that stuff.

Have now watched all of Red Dwarf X on DVD, which I really enjoyed. It's good to see them going back to the old rickety sets and concentrating more on the story and characters with a nice dash of decent effects to round it off. With me being such a hapless geek, I keep spotting things though, like the way the door mechanism on their quarters is made up of two Dell D-series Latitude docking stations stuck to the doors with barely any attempt to hide what they are. That did make me giggle.

While unable to sleep in the middle of the night, I finally discovered my copy of Robots and Empire, but it's not very useful right now as I'm rereading Game of Thrones, and then I've got A Clash of Kings to read, and also the first Hunger Games book, but I might read that between them to take a break from the brilliant but hard to read Ice and Fire books.

No comments: