Thursday 29 November 2012

Car woes

Well, it's been a long time since I had to write about car woes on here. I got antifreeze and topped up the coolant in the Astra last night and it seemed fine after a test drive and when I went to work today, but when we went to badminton this evening it suddenly did the same thing - rising temperature and no heat from the vents. After the game we topped it up again, and it took a lot of water to fill up the expansion tank. Then it was OK all the way home, except that while heat was coming out of the vents again, there was no reading on the temperature gauge. So something is clearly amiss.

I think it's only losing water when the engine is running, but the oil looks OK so hopefully it's just a leak somewhere and nothing serious. To be fair I've had the car since May and this is the first issue I've had with it after 6,000 miles, and it's quite possible that something was damaged when I was driving it down the track on Tuesday or perhaps one of the floods I had to drive through.

Now that I've managed to clear all my debt and actually build up some savings, it's a nice feeling to not have to panic about getting the car fixed. Right now I know I could even go out and buy another car if I absolutely had to, which is comforting. I've said before that if the Astra did die I'd get another one, ideally a diesel estate with ABS - that's the only feature that I wish this one had. Otherwise I'm very fond of it.

The M15x continues to make good progress on Ebay. I might even manage the impossible - to make a profit on a computer!

Badminton was fantastic. I haven't played in quite some time, and the exercise felt great. I've really missed it to be honest.

No comments: