Sunday 4 November 2012

Catastrophe

After my fairly miserable post the other day, Friday didn't seem to be getting any better. And then it got hugely worse. Disk failure took out both a fileserver and the backup system. It took me until about 1am to get the backup system to the point where it could run a restore on the disk that coudln't be recovered for the fileserver. It also involved shifting lots of tapes around and a lot of faffing.

Yesterday I had to remote in and do some more work, and then today go into the office to put more tapes in and supervise it. I was there three hours and it was creepy having the whole building to myself apart from the caretaker, and also bloody cold as the heating was off.

So the weekend didn't really go as planned - I missed out on Skyfall with the guys from work on Friday night and a meetup with my old work colleagues last night. In between bouts of work, I ended up reading old Transformers comics on my laptop and eating various pizzas.

It wouldn't be so bad but I'm leaving the country on Tuesday so I'll have a shitload of work to do tomorrow to get the backup system back to something like normal again. As it is I'm planning on taking my work laptop with me in case something happens.

One thing I did which was quite random was listen to some songs by the Presidents of the USA, which are really good fun. I remembered that they used weird instruments, a guitar with two bass strings and a bass with two bass strings and a guitar string. Inspired by this, I remembered the crappy old Strat copy I was given by my niece and a short while later it had two bass strings on it. Not quite the right gauges and they are flatwounds, but it kind of works and is a proper hoot to play.

No comments: