Tuesday 11 September 2007

Fun fun fun

Unix day today. Always a nice change from the usual tedium of dealing with hapless users, incorrigable printers and the near constant annoyance of HP machines with failing hard drives. Whenever I hear of one, it's always a Maxtor drive.

One thing that caused me near panic was my laptop having a network spasm. I was logged onto a live system and I nearly shat myself when it suddenly stopped responding. Also I was downloading 2.5gb of updates for one of the machines, and it was at 98% when it froze. Fortunately for some reason it was easily sorted with an ipconfig release and renew. The download wasn't lost, fortunately enough.

Played some more BioShock this evening, but didn't get much done, it must be said. Wasn't in the mood or something and got annoyed at it.

It occurred to me that the G3 might be overheating, so I had a look at the CPU heatsink. It doesn't need a fan on it, but I found that the standard thermal stuff was rather crap. So I scraped it off and put some Arctic Silver on instead. Perhaps that'll help.

This is an AWFUL promotional video for MS-DOS 5. It is a MUST see, simply because it is just astonishingly bad. Not sure if it's a real Microsoft video or not, but someone had to pay for all those effects. MS-DOS was truly dreadful. It boggles the mind that Microsoft managed to dominate the world on the back of that piece of shit.

Currently listening to The Downward Spiral by Nine Inch Nails. Also two-thirds of the way through Look to Windward by Iain M Banks. His Culture novels are really good.

No comments: