Tuesday 18 September 2007

I hate computers

Spent the evening (yes, I KNOW I'm a hapless geek) installing Windows XP on an old Compaq iPaq desktop. It's fairly pathetic, being a 500mhz Celeron with 256mb RAM and a 6gb hard drive. But I wanted to see if it would run iTunes reasonably well as a possible replacement for the dodgy G3. I got Windows installed from a spare OEM disk and activated (despite the key being from a broken Acer laptop) and everything was working, when I suddenly realised that it only had USB 1.1. Experiments with an external hard drive showed that it was far, far too slow to use with an iPod.

So now I need something with preferably at least a P4, a PCI slot, and ideally cheap or free. Oh well. Pissed off that I activated Windows, if I try activating with this key again it'll probably tell me to fuck off, like the one off an old Dell laptop did. I only tried it because I was certain it wouldn't work.

Cardiff was a cool place. Weird to come back home again with that slightly different perspective that going somewhere you really like gives you.

Uploaded the photos from the weekend. I'm going to have fun labelling this lot.

No comments: