Friday 4 April 2008

Back

Back in Wales. Course is all done. It was actually really good and a lot of things about AIX make a lot more sense. It's enough not like 'real' Unix or Linux to be annoying though. It would be a real help if I could get hold of an RS/6000 or Pseries to play with but they don't seem to be very easy to get hold of. Sun machines for example are readily available on Ebay.

Yesterday was a bit annoying. I took the DLR to Canary Wharf, intending to get the Jubilee line back to the centre. Partly to see Canary Wharf and partly because I'd never been on the DLR (a bit of me is still a train geek). But by the time I got there and had a look around, the Jubilee had shut down following a power failure. So I had to cram myself back onto the DLR with the thousands of others trying to escape Canary Wharf and get back to where I started. After all that it was quite late and so I ended up back near King's Cross and got a burger and chips in a fish and chip shop that had a restaurant in the back. Pretty decent too.

Today I wandered round a bit more and had a look at the music shops in Denmark Street. I played a Dean Rhapsody 12-string bass which was awesome, shook my head at a ridiculous 6-necked guitar/bass which took up an entire window and watched someone who looked very familiar for some reason play a genuine 60's Fender Bass IV which sounded absolutely amazing. After that had a look at Trafalgar Square and Covent Garden before heading up to Euston and getting the train back. It left on time and actually arrived ten minutes early. Amazing. Both journeys were completely trouble free and both times I was in the shop carriage, which was handy.

The replacement stove was installed while I was away although we can't light it until Sunday so things can dry out. It's a lot smaller than the old one and a lot more complicated. We'll see. Also the people left a pile of bricks in front of the doorstep from when they were trying to get the old Rayburn out, and when I went out in the dark I fell right over them. My hand is killing me.

I could attach a photo to this because I took a few in London but I can't be bothered to get the memory card out of my phone which is downstairs on charge.

No comments: