Thursday 18 September 2008

Another monstrosity

Work was OK and the weather was great today. Felt pretty crappy all day for some reason so didn't do the full walk. Did however take the dog into the field and walked around a bit so he could chase rabbits. I used to hate him doing this but it's clear now that the urge to chase them is thoroughly part of his make up and isn't going to go away.


Was bored so I made this thing. It's the body from a Squier Strat combined with the defretted neck off an old Encore bass. I had to get rid of some wood to make room for the neck to fit but I was slightly over enthusiastic with the chisel so there's an epic gap around the neck.

It started out as an experiment to see if I could make a bass using the Strat tremolo but I didn't have any decent spare strings that fitted. So it has three old ones, all tuned to G, although they all sound different as they are different types.

I did put a bass string one tuned an octave lower but that was too much for the tremolo. It can just about cope with the three on it so I doubt it would cope with four bass strings tuned to pitch. It might be possible to add two extra springs to it though. Also the scale length is shorter so the lines on the neck are completely wrong although they're quite faint.

No comments: