Monday 2 February 2009

Argh, why did I start

I was slightly at a loss as to what to do this morning, so I decided to have a go at installing another pickup in my main bass. It's a giant chrome humbucker. To make room, a big hole would have to be created in the body. As I don't have a router, or the knowledge to use one, I spent ages making a hole with a drill and chisel. This actually worked, and I was quite pleased until I turned the body over and realised that my energetic pounding (ahem) had created a slight crack between the bits of wood the body was made of and wrecked the finish on the back. Undeterred, I hacked up the pickguard to make room on the front, which also went a bit pear-shaped, and then attempted to wire up the pickup using a spare volume control.

The soldering didn't go too well and it took a while to work out just how to add another volume control and wire it in to the existing controls. After a tantrum, I had to rewire the whole thing, so I did. The new pickup actually worked, and the two originals and the tone control did too, so that was good. Then as I put the pickguard back on, it started buzzing, and I haven't been able to work out why other than it being some sort of grounding issue. So I threw it aside (gently) and decided I'd had enough. Tomorrow I'll have another go at the wiring. It looks like a bit of a clusterfuck at the moment with the finish and the gimped pickguard, but before it started buzzing, it sounded quite good.

Update: I put the strings back on, plugged it in and no buzzing. WHY?! It sounds pretty good. The new pickup is a bit much by itself, basically making it into a fart machine but combined with either of the other pickups, it sounds really good. The last thing left to do is to screw down the pickup cover, but I don't have the right screws at the moment.

No comments: