Wednesday 18 February 2009

Orange Light of Death

I was merrily driving home when the engine management light on the dash lit up. It still drove OK and there weren't any other signs of issues, so I carried on. However when I got home I switched the engine off and tried starting it again, and it was very reluctant to restart. Eventually it did and it seemed OK once it was actually running. I suppose I'll have to find someone who can plug it into a computer to find out what the fault is that it has picked up and hope it's not serious. Apparently it's far more common for the various sensors to fail rather than the actual thing they are monitoring, which is a bit silly.

One of those evenings where I wanted to put some music on but couldn't decide what to listen to, so I put iTunes on shuffle. And then The Great Southern Trendkill by Pantera came up - perfect.

Life is fundamentally unfair - there's an RS/6000 on Ebay right now with enough power to run AIX 5.3. It's reasonably affordable, has hard drives (most are removed before sale) and the only thing wrong is a lack of RAM (256mb). And what with holidays coming up, car failures and things, I can't really think about getting it. Annoying.

Cuba has banned Windows and is creating a custom Linux based OS for everyone to use instead. Seems a bit OTT.

No comments: