Saturday 7 February 2009

Video game addiction

Video game addiction is an interesting thing. I've had it a few times where I've played a game far too much. Most of the GTA series (but not IV) did this, BioShock, Fable II and most recently Saint's Row 2. It's quite weird when you realise just how much time you are spending on it. But at least these games come to an end. As much as I've enjoyed Saints Row 2 there isn't much more I can do in it except finish off the activies and finding the tags and CDs dotted about. I thought about replaying it with a new character, but I found that all the cutscenes and missions seem faintly ridiculous if I change the character at all. The other voices in particular just don't seem right.

Hilariously when I was experimenting with alcohol in the game, I found the character drunkenly says things like 'I really hate this fucking town'. 'I only hurt people because I'm crying inside' and 'Oh Christ I want to give up', bringing to mind a gang leader who secretly wants to dump the whole thing and move to the countryside.

Anyway, online games such as WoW don't come to an end, they keep changing and updating, keeping you coming back for more. I can't really speak from experience with this but this might be why they can be more addictive. The closest I've come to this is playing Second Life. I was worried that I might get too involved in it. Fortunately, it's such total shit that it didn't happen.

No comments: