Wednesday 4 February 2009

The Fart Machine strikes

Went out to Will's today. The track was still quite snowy so the car basically tobogganed all the way down. After that, the roads were OK.

The modified bass proved to sound quite nice when hooked up to Will's system, which was definitely good. The new pickup is only really good for big fat low frequencies by itself, which is why they're generally called mudbuckers. We ended up making a track which is hard to describe but starts off with a bass duet, a weird bit in the middle and a death metal rampage at the end. Good fun.

I wasn't expecting to make it up the track on the way home, but much to my surprise, I got up fine. There was a nasty bit at the bottom, which I got past by flooring it around the corner, startling some people with dogs who thought I was revving at them. Once again the traction control proved it's worth.

Going to my Dad's tomorrow, we're going to attach the new pickup cover to the bass, and it could also do with a string tree on the headstock if I can find a spare one. I'm trying to think of a way of removing the damaged finish on the back of the body. It's this nasty thick lacquer stuff. Ideally, if I could be at all arsed, I'd pull it to bits and strip all the finish off, but I'm not quite in the mood to do that yet. It would be easier to just strip the back, make it smooth again and chuck some lacquer on it.

Installed FreeNAS on a VM and set up some iSCSI targets. These work quite well as remote storage, appearing on the client machine as an actual connected disk. I'm sure it would come in insanely useful for something but I can't think what.

No comments: