Tuesday 18 January 2011

Possessed pocket

Work was decidedly meh today, but not quite as bad as previous days.

Took the dog for a walk after work and remembered to try out the Cardio Trainer app for Android. If you go for a run or walk it uses the GPS to work out how far you've gone and how many calories you've used. It worked quite well but I didn't realise it would speak information every minute so I would get a voice emerging from my pocket telling me how fast I was walking or how far I'd gone. Quite cool though and it seemed fairly accurate. It was a bloody cold walk though. Also I went in my wellies which was a bad idea as I almost got blisters.

Had a play with the 7741g. Found a utility that monitors the i7 and tells you what the CPU is doing. I was surprised how often it would overclock if one core was being hammered, up to 2.8ghz but it stayed relatively cool. When Intel first announced the TurboBoost thing, I thought it sounded stupid but it makes more sense seeing it working. The extra RAM and the i7 really have helped VirtualBox though, the VMs feel like they're running on the native hardware. The only other upgrades I could do now are a 7200rpm hard drive and possibly a Bluray optical drive, but they are hardly necessary.

Booked flight to Berlin at the end of March to go over for the half-marathon which Amogharatna is running. Really looking forward to it.

No comments: