Wednesday 5 December 2007

No brakes

Got into the car today to go to work and as soon as I pressed the brake pedal, it did very little to stop the vehicle, which was quite worrying. Subsequent investigation showed that a branch from a gorse bush that blew out in front of me last night had jammed itself between the axle and chassis, severing the brake lines. I was able to use the low ratio gears to get it safely to the bottom of the track, from where it was subsequently retrieved and repaired by the local Land Rover gurus. It wasn't a big repair, but the labour was pricey.

Didn't get much done in work. It was a somewhat strange day.

In the evening, it dawned on me that the 2.5gb RAM in this machine would probably allow VMWare to run another OS nicely. So I downloaded and installed the free VMWare Server, which installed painlessly. It now has a virtual copy of Windows 2000 Advanced Server installed, which actually runs rather well. So that could be fun to play with. Just need more disk space in this machine, 20gb is not enough and I'm running out quickly. This combined with the ever-present RDP connection to my MP3 playing box means I have a rather busy desktop now. Hmm, if I popped another graphics card in, I could have another monitor perhaps...

No comments: