Thursday 28 February 2008

Cars cars cars

Today I finally arranged for a scrappy to take away my old Audi 80. It's a 1982 model, with a 1.6 litre engine and a three speed automatic gearbox. It wasn't a bad car and in surprisingly solid condition, but due to the low gearing it used a lot of fuel, and wasn't particularly nice to drive because it had ultra cheap tyres which gave it no grip. It was replaced in November 2004 by my Mum's old Citroen Xsara, which actually gave a LOT more trouble than the Audi ever did.

Rather optimistically, I informed the guy that I'd have it at the bottom of the track tomorrow evening, assuming I'd be able to get it to start. However much to my dismay, despite plenty of electricity from the Discovery over jump leads, the engine turned over but wouldn't fire. But as the throttle also stuck full on this is probably a good thing, with it being an auto. However, it did actually freewheel forward a bit which is good as I thought it had become embedded in the ground in the year or so since it last moved. So I'll have to give the guy a call tomorrow and say it's a bit more complicated now.

Also cleaned out all the rubbish that was in it. But amongst the rubbish, I found two full cans of oil, a full can of WD40 and a copy of the LostProphets second album which I'd given up for lost. Wow, just goes to show. Also the driver's footwell was full of water, not a good sign. The above picture from a couple of years ago actually makes it look rather tidy - this was because I'd washed it in an attempt to sell it as a restoration project. Now it looks rather mouldier and shed-like.

Kind of weird to listen to the LostProphets album again. Brings to mind driving down to Branston for a week in my old job to provide on-site support at one of the sites. It was the only CD I had so I listened to it solidly the whole time.

Also found the three remaining hubcabs from the old Pimpmobile which I'd kept, almost as if to prove that it was real...

No comments: