Sunday 10 February 2008

Whamola spanky panky

I was too curious to see what the Whamola would sound like so I stripped the pickups off the 1-string bass and applied them to the Whamola, using the old duct tape approach. I then connected it to my Optiplex running Ableton Live to run it through some effects. As you can see I attached the pickups in a slightly unorthodox way but I couldn't think of any other way that wouldn't leave them vulnerable to being hit by the string.

And it is just too fun. In the absence of drumsticks, I've just beaten the crap out of it with a screwdriver causing many strange booming sounds. Also quite by accident, I found that if you pluck the string where it goes over the top of the body to the tuner, it makes high pitched sounds which resonate with the main string, with a quite disturbing effect.

There is no point putting a fingerboard on it because it would be destroyed by the string. I can see now why most of these things are made of metal.

No comments: