Saturday 23 February 2008

KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

Fecking hell. I got the Toughbook CF-34M running Windows 2000 Advanced Server because I've never got the touchscreen working under Linux, and it doesn't seem at all possible it ever will. Windows took a LONG time to install, as it doesn't have a CDROM so I had to make the drive bootable into DOS on another machine and then copy the i386 folder from the CD to the disk and run the installer from there. I tried this method with Windows XP once before and it failed for some reason, this time it actually worked.

But the touchscreen drivers (once I found them, damn Panasonic and it's crap website) cause Windows 2000 to die with a BSOD - argh!

Somewhat to my surprise, Windows 2000 is quite sprightly on this machine, given it's humble specs (PIII 400mhz, 192mb RAM, 20gb HD).

Incidentally, the image is of a Toughbook CF-M34 which was hit by a bullet while being carried by a soldier in Irag. It didn't go all the way through and so saved his life. They don't lie when they say these things are strong...

Update: removed touchscreen driver and installed the latest updates and it's running like a champ.

No comments: