Tuesday 5 February 2008

Thingys

Things are a bit more cheerful since the last post, when I was feeling a bit down. I am however determined to get rid the crap I don't use, which is rather a lot. One thing is a load of Megadrive stuff I had and put on the noticeboard in work. Nobody's offered me anything for it so I might just put it up for nothing. At this point I don't actually care all that much about selling stuff, I just want to get rid of it.

Got the car back today. The grinding and droning was indeed the right front wheel bearing, which had collapsed. It was still an expensive repair at £192 though. I felt better about the car after this, but I made the mistake of parking it facing uphill in the work car park, which let the sunroof leak quite badly as it rained quite hard. I normally have a bin bag in the car but it had gone missing for some reason, so I had to sit on my coat. This actually highlighted how much the driver's seat sags.

I like the Discovery, I really do. It was my dream car when I was in my early 20's and I never thought I'd actually own and drive one. But the sheer expense of running it is a massive drag on my finances. I'll get it through the next MOT and then we'll see. Diesel prices are just not funny any more, to the point where it might actually be cheaper to run an LPG converted V8 one. But it's also group 12 insurance and £200 a year tax.

I am still intrigued by the idea of making a proper one string bass. I'm idly looking at the prices of suitably sized chunks of maple and mahogany, but at the moment I'm rather poor. Also it might be difficult to cut things with the tools I have. But hey, it's nice to dream and it's fun drawing pictures of what it might look like.

Other than that it's been a cold, rainy and rather unpleasant day.

No comments: