Tuesday 4 March 2008

Toughbook upgrade and car woes

Went to have another look at a car I was quite interested in, a tidy 1999 VW built Skoda Felicia, only to find it had been sold yesterday. Oh well. They tried to interest me in a white R-reg Rover but it was too big, and you can't get the parts these days. Had another look on the Interwebs this evening and found a couple of other possibilities. A 106 in Wrexham and a Seat Arosa 1.0 which looked great but was in Wolverhampton.

This was annoying though as I was hoping the Skoda was OK and I could have had it sorted by the end of the week, especially as diesel is now £1.11 in the local Morrisons. What. The. Fuck.

Put Windows XP on the Toughbook, as the 2000 install was a 30 day trial version. I did try a Compaq Windows 2000 CD but that failed, so I installed XP Home using a code from a crappy smashed up Acer laptop. Much to my surprise, it actually activated, so that's all good. Doesn't run too badly with the 192mb RAM, surprisingly. I tried replacing the 128mb DIMM in it with a 256mb one but it still only recognised 192mb RAM - bah! Also the touchscreen driver which worked fine on 2000 doesn't work on XP, strangely, or at least I haven't got it to work yet.

One thing that's interesting about it is that it has a modem installed in a MiniPCI slot, which could be possibly be replaced with a wireless card. This however then raises the question of an antenna, and I'm not sure if the Ethernet port is linked to the PCI card or not.

No comments: