Friday 7 March 2008

Wrongness, laptop surgery and cars


What's wrong with this picture? The gigantic lip? The AK-47? Or the jarring juxtaposition of the iPod? It's got to be a posed photograph, but it's interesting nontheless.

Had a funny moment in work where I was combining an immaculate laptop with a fried motherboard with one that had a good motherboard but a damaged screen and other parts. I merrily ripped both laptops to pieces while dealing with helpdesk calls when I suddenly realised I was surrounded with countless bits of laptop, a forest of screws, and not much idea which parts were from which one. But after a while I got it all back together, and I had a nice clean laptop that booted successfully. However the celebrations were cut short when I found the trackpad didn't work, but I know where it connects and it's quite easy to check. I've built a couple of Frankenstein laptops like this out of the scrap pile and they always come in useful for something. Even the head of ICT uses one for presentations.

Cars. I've been scouring Ebay, Auto Trader and various other places every night this week and I'm sick of it. But I've got a couple of possibilities and dilemmas. A P-reg Fiesta with no history for £500, or an L-reg Clio with a year's MOT and plenty of documented work done over the last 15,000 miles for £375? Which would be better? I don't know.

I'm steeling myself for driving round in a shed. I think I've mentioned before that I have psychological difficulties with cars, and unless I'm in something big that I can perceive as safe, I get paranoid and angry. So it's going to be somewhat of a test, and I only hope I have the strength of mind to pass it. I think as long as I can get a half-decent stereo in it, that'll be a big help as then you can just cruise and enjoy the tunes.

This is from the Facebook terms of service: "When we are notified that a user has died, we will generally, but are not obligated to, keep the user's account active under a special memorialized status for a period of time determined by us to allow other users to post and view comments."

Odd. Still not too happy about Facebook.

No comments: