Saturday 3 May 2008

Acoustic Bass


I decided recently that the Peavey 5-string bass was not my thing. It looked nice, was well made and sounded decent but I couldn't adapt to 5 strings. I did consider stringing it with a high C instead of a low B but decided against it. I took it out today with the aim of trading it in for something, anything, as long as it was different. I wasn't necessarily after a bass, a guitar or something might have been a possibility or perhaps some more outlandish like a bouzouki.

It was an odd day for going to music shops, I got stuck in bank holiday traffic at least twice and couldn't park anywhere. Eventually I found myself in a shop in Colwyn Bay which is just insane. You have to walk around a literal maze of amps stacked to the ceiling and it's really cramped and awkward. They have some really nice stuff though. One thing that caught my eye there was a Shine acoustic bass. I had never really considered an acoustic bass before as they aren't all that popular. They still need an amp for anything more than a quiet noodle as they are quite small. With bass frequencies you need massive size, like the double bass or the guitarron.

Still, I had a go on it, the price was right and it really appealed. It's a cheap model but isn't bad. It has a really nice deep red finish (which is really hard to photograph) and the sound is good unplugged and actually pretty decent plugged in too. The guy in the shop was a bit of a fan of Peavey stuff so despite mine being a cheap Chinese one we quickly came to a deal.

The strings are a bit past it but they'll be OK for a while. It's nice to be able to just grab an play it without an amp, and in fact I just sat in the field for an hour playing with it while the dog had a run around. Great fun.

About to put the new 160gb hard drive into this machine and rebuild it with a clean install of Hardy Heron, and then I'm going to start on GTA IV again.

Yay bank holiday weekends.

No comments: