Sunday 25 May 2008

I have sound, and a small Linux machine

Something is gimpy with audio in Hardy Heron. I got it working by playing with the main volume control panel as described by someone. Turning everything off and on again sorted it. I'm sure I already did that though.

Found a HP Jornada 690 at the car boot this morning for £8. It's one of the mini laptops running Windows CE that were vaguely popular at the end of the 90s. It has a 133mhz Hitachi SH3 processor, 32mb RAM, a 640x240 colour screen and a surprisingly usable keyboard. I had to make a power supply for it as it had the standard connector but needed 12v. It's in good nick but the non-TFT LCD seems a bit dim.

The built in operating system is Windows CE 2.11. While this was a BIG improvement over the useless pieces of crap that were CE 1.0 and 2.0, it's still not great. The huge flaw for me was the inability to install network card drivers without connecting it to a Windows PC. This was impossible because I don't have the correct cable. Giving up on that, I quickly found that both Linux and NetBSD have been ported to this machine and so I thought that would be preferable.

I partitioned up a 256mb Compact Flash I had lying round, and after some judicious copying of files, including the WinCE program that actually loads the kernel, it actually booted Linux. It works but I haven't had much of a chance to see what it can do.

I just took a load of crap laptops outside for the scrap pile. Any thoughts about keeping them were quickly halted as it then rained on them very hard.

No comments: