Thursday 13 October 2011

A few days

The week has been fairly standard. D&D on Monday which was fun but we didn't have Ed there which was a shame. Steve is settling in well though.

There really isn't much else to report. Work has been meh, the backup system is still the bane of my existence since the consultant came in yesterday and said he'd never seen it do what ours is doing. So he's taking low-level trace and will consult with IBM. The day wasn't helped by my cutting out Coke after a week of 3 cans a day binging, leading to a massive caffeine crash and a pounding headache.

This month was going well financially until I fucked up today but I might be able to turn it around and profit from it. Not sure yet.

Up to season 4 of Deep Space 9. Sisko has shaved his head so this is where it starts to get good. Really enjoyed it so far.

Finished Game of Thrones over the weekend. A very long and complicated read but good as it kept you guessing. I expected more to get sorted out by the end of the book though. I've heard good things about the TV series.

The creator of the original Unix has died. Shame. I have a bit of an affinity with Linux, having used it since about 1995, and more recently AIX on the IBM RS/6000.

Badminton tonight was really good. I actually feel justified in saying that I played pretty damn well, surprising myself and others. I think it's the first signs of the gym helping - I don't think I've actually lost any weight yet, but my legs seem to be stronger, helping me to get around the court and manuever better.

My racket is starting to show signs of its age. I bought it as consolation to myself for being made redundant in November 2004, so it's done really well. The frame is chipped and worn and the strings are starting to fray, and the extra layer of grip tape to make the handle fatter is held on with duct tape, but it still feels good. I think I'd rather get it restrung if the strings do go as it just feels nice.

While out at badminton I left my iPod touch being updated to iOS 5 which seems to have gone smoothly despite the many reports of it failing or people having trouble with it.

No comments: