Tuesday 18 October 2011

Solid state

I wasn't really in the mood for faffing about but I got the SSD into the P fine. It worked first go but I botched the trackpoint connections so I had to get the keyboard off again. For a machine that Sony said isn't user servicable it comes apart surprisingly easily. The worst part is getting the keyboard and trackpoint connections in becuase there is so little room. I've reinstalled Windows 7 and it's updating itself. Not sure if the SSD will give much improvement over the old hard drive due to the PATA interface, but the lack of moving parts will make up for that. The SSD was thinner than the hard drive so I resorted to a pad of folded tissue to stop it moving about. With soldered CPU and RAM, the hard drive is the only thing that can be changed on the P, although the CPU can be slightly overclocked. The Atom is so wimpy though it's not going to make that much difference.

Perhaps I should have been a watchmaker or something. Taking fiddly laptops apart doesn't phase me in the slightest, in fact I quite enjoy it. Unless it's a MacBook. The worst repair I've ever done was to swap a keyboard on a MacBook. It seemed specially designed to be awkward and fiddly. It was one of the first generation ones so I don't know if the new ones are any better, but I wouldn't have thought so.

No comments: