Thursday 17 May 2012

The behemoth gets an excursion

Average day in work. Not much to report except continuing frustration with undocumented Unix systems and being expected to know all the ins and outs of the SAN which I've had no training on, or even have a login for. Also how am I supposed to know if 15k SAS disks will perform as well as 15k fibre disks, or even 15k SCSI disks attached directly to the machine?

Badminton evening was good. Took our laser printer and the M17x down to Rob and Em's to print out labels designed by Wes for Rob's homebrew. It worked out rather well in fact, and the labels look great on the bottles. The labels were for inkjet but we tried a sheet through the laser, at full alert, and they worked OK. It's the first time the M17x has had an excursion since I got it, as it's not the most portable machine in the world.

Badminton itself was OK but we had some curious games where we fluctuated wildly between hitting some amazing shots and rallies and fumbling around like we'd never tried to hit a shuttle before. It was weird. Good fun and tiring though.

It was an odd day with doors today. Twice I went to open a door just as someone else did, and then I opened the door of the computer room rather forcefully into a consultant who was standing just inside it talking on his mobile.

Still feeling a bit down. Every now and again it hits me that nearly everyone I know of my age is basically settled and doing the whole grown-up thing, but somewhere along the line it all went wrong for me and I don't have any clue what to do about it. Difficult not to get a bit resentful sometimes but it's my own fault.

No comments: