Friday 25 May 2012

A long and hot day

It was really warm today. The office was just about tolerable with a few fans going. We had ice cream at lunchtime as someone went out and got some as a treat for everyone, which was good.

While I was coming up the track, a disturbing noise came from the Astra dashboard and the air went colder. I think the aircon might have started working properly - if you turn the aircon on and off while the engine is idling, you can hear the revs change slightly. But when you switch the engine off, there is a disturbing sound like a drawn out last breath. I know aircon can affect fuel consumption but when the engine is a thrifty diesel to start with, I don't think it matters all that much.

Put a hard drive in the Studio 1735 and it's running an install of Ubuntu 10.04, which is before they ruined it utterly with that Unity nonsense. The hard drive caddy is missing so it's wedged in with bubblewrap for now. The machine does run well though, although the heat in the room led to both it and the Alienware M17x cycling their fans up and down in a somewhat annoying fashion. The Vaio UX needs surgery. I somehow managed to get the wifi antenna lead caught under the rear casing when I was putting the SSD in, so when it was screwed down it damaged the lead. I have spare laptop bits which include wifi antennas but not sure how much of a faff it's going to be to repair it. The wifi still works, but the range is now severely limited, so to get it online I had to use one of the other machines to create another wifi network for it to connect to.

In an attempt to improve my handwriting and make it less childlike I bought a fountain pen for the first time in years. It's nice to write with but not sure if it's having an effect yet. Will wait and see.

Watched The Thing tonight, the 2011 version. I'm a big fan of the original so I wasn't really quite sure what to expect. I quite enjoyed it in the end and I thought they did a fairly decent job with the effects. It was fairly blantant CGI but they made the effort to make it feel like the original. Probably a good thing that they managed to contain it in the end. If everyone in the world became a shapeshifting monster, it would mean the end of factory made clothing as everything would have to be bespoke tailoring.

Had an amazing dream just before I woke up this morning. It was basically Go Ape, with the harnesses and stuff, but it was being used to simulate Mario, so the gear let you do his leaps and jumps and crush enemies and (somehow) use your head to smash bricks open. It was really good fun and for a while after I woke up I kept having this nagging feeling I was supposed to be looking for stars.

No comments: