Sunday 20 May 2007

Casio SK-1


Went to a car boot this morning and found a Casio SK-1. This was a very early example of a keyboard that lets you sample sounds. It can only record 1.4 seconds and it's low quality, but it's surprisingly fun. It cost £10, which was a bargain really as they still go for about £20-40. The main appeal is recording yourself making noises with your mouth/farting/burping/whatever, and faffing around with it. This is an example. It's also very, very clean and looks brand new.

There were various models that followed, but the SK-1 was the original. I already have an SK-5 which can hold 4 samples and has some more features, though it lacks portamento which the SK-1 has. All good fun.

I finally completed the second gang on Crackdown, after not playing it for a while. There was one particular boss which was driving me insane. You have to get across a quarry avoiding gunfire and rockets, to find a cave where the boss was hiding. My approach was to get into the Agency supercar and drive as fast as possible but usually I'd die just as I got to the cave. However I realised that the cave had openings at the back overlooking a highway and I was able to get in that way after some climbing.

Other than that, didn't really do very much today. I put flatwound strings on my bass as an experiment. They are smoother and have a more mellow sound. I quite like it.

No comments: