Saturday 19 May 2007

A frustrating day


I tried very hard to take the dog for a walk today. However the weather was being unbelievably annoying. It was windy all day and rain kept coming and going all day. Every time I thought it was safe to go out, it would rain. I don't like walking in rain and neither does the Idiot Hound. So instead, I watched several episodes of Robot Chicken. It's really good.

For the first time ever, I got Samba working on a Linux box, so I could access a shared folder on it from Windows and Mac OS X. I was hoping to use it as a backup box for my various main machines, however due to a filename length limit, it choked on the Documents folder from the Mac. However, all is not lost as there might be a way of getting round it.

Incidentally, it's quite worrying that you can now get a 1 terabyte hard drive. OK, the formatted capacity is actually about 930gb, but that's a hell of a lot of data to lose if it dies. I've become slightly paranoid about backups recently hence the experimentation with the Linux box. It's based on an old dual 550mhz Pentium III server board which emits a loud, distressing squeal when switched off.

The thing is, I would only need about 40gb of space to back up everything I have, including my largely ripped-from-CD MP3 collection. I can't imagine filling up a 300gb hard drive, let alone 1tb. I think that drive will appeal mainly to those people who basically download every film, TV show and album they possibly can, even if they never watch it. It's like a weird status symbol to have several hundred gigs of downloaded stuff.

I found a Hornby Railways catalogue which had somehow survived in my room since 1990 or so. To be honest I thought I had given up my passion for model railways before then, but maybe not. It was rather strange to look at the page with the InterCity 125, which I always wanted.

Currently listening to the track 'Would?' by Alice in Chains.

No comments: