Saturday 26 May 2007

Wiper blades, Windows/Mac stupidity and H-blockx


Went to my Dad's today. We went into Llandudno which was probably a bad idea on a bank holiday weekend. But it wasn't too bad. I was after a cheapo external hard drive to shuffle data around between my various machines, so I could get my backup server ready. We also got some new wiper blades for the Discovery as the ones on it were 2" too short and worn out. After all that, we had fish and chips for lunch which was pretty good.

The external hard drive works well enough, it's a little 2.5" 80gb, which connects through USB. This caused a slight problem with my iBook as it only has USB 1.1 which is incredibly slow. Copying data from it to the external hard drive is actually quicker if I hook the drive up to my PC and share it over the network. However, this caused problems. It failed because there were files with ? in the name. Mac OS X can handle this, Windows can't, so I had to go and rename all those files. But then it failed AGAIN because there was a file with '\' in the name!!!!

The really STUPID thing that OS X does when it has a problem like this is just stop copying, which is infuriating. At least if Windows has a problem, it asks you if you want to skip that file and try again or something. In the end, there were more issues because of various hidden files that OS X creates in the Unix style. They start with '.' and so Windows has problems with them. too. I've since found if you do it in the Terminal using 'cp' it seems to do a better job, and if it finds a file it doesn't like, it tells you and carries on - hurrah!

All this faffing around with file sharing and stuff reminded me of an embarrassing incident a while back. I was showing my brother how to connect to a server over the network in Windows and one of the servers in the workgroup being named 'FUCKSTICKS'. I can't remember exactly what machine that was now, but obviously it had made me angry at some point.

Quite by accident while I was watching various YouTube videos on my Wii, H-blockx came up. This brought back a very distant memory of a track called 'Revolution' which was on a cover disk from either Kerrang! or Metal Hammer. I remember the track being quite good and listening to it as loud as I could on the crappy stereo in my Fiat Panda. Further investigation showed that H-blockx are in fact still going, and have done an interesting if slightly worrying cover of 'The Power" by Snap! and a couple of other tracks. This is a recent one, which is reasonably listenable and the guy is playing a Hamer 8-string bass.

A laser-etched MacBook Pro. Quite nice.

House prices suck but that's a rant for another time.

No comments: