Friday 4 May 2007

Flying Vs and green arms reaching out of ponds


Some say the Flying V guitar design is the height of cheese, and that's mainly because of the image it picked up in the 70's and 80's. I really like it though, admittedly it's difficult to play sitting down, but I've always thought it was rather elegant. Apparently the original intention was that the V would be used by blues guitarists, and they would put it over one leg with the neck pointing upwards. Strangely, nobody went for that, and the design fell into obscurity until it was picked up by the heavy metal scene. So considering the Flying V has always been associated with heavy metal and that kind of thing, the Dean V-coustic is an interesting idea. It's basically what it says, an acoustic Flying V. It probably doesn't sound very good unplugged, but hey, it's different. Shame there's no bass version or I'd probably get one...

I was walking the dog today when I went past a field that had a murky green pond in the corner, and it dredged up a very early memory from primary school. It was a story in a book, where some kid was warned to stay away from a pond. However he ignored the warning, and something came out of the pond and got him. I remember very clearly it had an illustration of the poor kid kneeling by the pond, and these long green arms had come out of the pond and grabbed him round the neck. That really freaked me out, unsurprisingly. I don't remember the point of the story though, or what happened to the kid, just that nasty image stuck in my memory.

I've never seen a Bulgarian Tambura, but I really like this solo played on one.

This is a very good Frank Zappa song called 'City of Tiny Lights'. It has some of the most screwed up animation I have ever seen. Also there is a live version, which is even better other than the frightening Speedo wearing drummer, but it's really good and well worth a listen. I hadn't heard any of his stuff before I went to Berlin in March, and my brother played some for me.

Finally downloaded the new version of the Wii Internet browser. It's much better than the preview, and the autohiding toolbar is a definite plus.

3 day weekend! Superb! Even more time to waste!

No comments: