Thursday 16 February 2012

Adventures in AIX

The last couple of days have been OK. Work has been pretty much as expected. My knee has been gradually getting better and was nearly better for most of today, but is now painful again in the evening. Hopefully it will be better by the weekend.

Work today was interesting as I finally took a mksysb of the AIX server I've been building, and then initiated an upgrade to AIX 6.1, which I've never done before. Due to issues with the CD drive in the BladeCenter chassis, I had to install it from the CD drive in my laptop over the network, although I don't know how much impact that would have on the speed of the install. I had to leave it going though since it was only at 64% at 5:50pm and I was due to have dinner with Rob, Em and Steve. I really hope it installs OK. It won't be an issue if it fails because I took a backup of it, but I could do without the hassle of putting the backup back on and starting all over again.

The Prelude is still going OK and I'm adapting to the fuel consumption. It's not as bad as all that, but it's certainly not the fill and forget approach that the old 306 was. I've got used to the feel of the car now, and it's certainly the fastest and best handling car I've had. It's like the Pimpmobile II in that it's a lot more planted on the road than most cars I've had which now I've got used to it is nice, but also means I sometimes end up going a little faster than I thought. Now I'm aware of that though I'm careful to keep track of it.

Also since I'm a little paranoid about using fuel, I tend to pootle around in town and accelerate gently, which also helps make the obnoxious exhaust less obvious. And it's fun to surprise people by being polite in what is unfortunately rather a chavvy car at the moment.

Finally booked some leave. I had four days I had to take before the end of March, so I've booked Thursday and Friday off work next week and the week after, which is then followed by a full week in work, then a week off with Mass Effect 3.

Not much else to report. I think I have mice again which is really annoying and I keep forgetting to get mousetraps. I don't like using lethal ones, but unfortunately I think they're necessary.

No comments: