Friday 24 February 2012

How much?!

Well well well, something has gone awry with the Prelude. Not anything serious, but because the idiot who put the drainpipe exhaust cut the original exhaust to fit it, it needs two new sections of exhaust to go back to standard. My local garage quoted about £250 but now I know exactly what it needs I can at least shop around for quotes. Also the odd noise from the engine is the timing belt tensioner so it needs a new one, and belt. Again, they quoted £250 because it's £100 for the kit and a big job.

I can live with the exhaust for now I guess, but I'm going to get the timing belt done. I'm always paranoid about them and if it's done then if I decide to get rid of it, it adds some value to it. But I don't want to get rid of it. Despite the disasterous insurance increase, I really like it. It's comfortable, really nice to drive and despite being a 2.0 litre, not as bad on fuel as I expected. Admittedly I drive it like an old man, but that's the nice thing, it can be driven like that and still keep up with traffic easily. Not being able to get a bike in the back is a downer though, not sure what I can do about that unless I get a folding one.

Decided I can't do without the Atom server, so I went to Rhyl today to pick up a hard drive for it. Currently rebuilding it with the new version of ESXi, 5.0.0, so I can get FreeNAS up and running again. I was just reading a web page about some guy who tried and failed to get ESXi running on an Atom board, which seems weird as my cheapo ASRock motherboard has always run it like a champ. Yes, the Atom is bloody slow, but it's got plenty of power for simple stuff. What's nice is the new release of ESXi supports the onboard network card, so that's a bonus.

The 500gb hard drive was not cheap after the floods last year but at least it'll get it running again. Rhyl is such a frantically depressing place though. Walking about the town centre drains you. Spotted a PS Vita in a shop, looks nice. Had McDonalds for lunch, which was about as satisfying as it always is and I felt unclean and hungry not long afterwards.

No comments: