Wednesday 29 February 2012

Bad vibes

Yesterday was going OK, the phones were quiet, the backup system was behaving, kind of, and my knee felt absolutely fine exept for a slight tender spot. I was able to take a nice long walk to get a new cache though, so that was good.

However, at lunchtime some e-mails were sent out for meetings next Thursday about a restructure. What was worrying was that there were also meetings with the union present. This instantly caused much dismay in work and despite an e-mail from the department head, it persisted today.

The backup system had a tantrum in the morning so I spent much of the day sorting that out and getting some other stuff done in preparation for my two days leave tomorrow and Friday. I had been volunteered to do stuff for an external guy on one of the Unix machines that I wasn't all that familiar with, but I was able to help him out and use my l33t skilz to get what he needed done.

Two colleagues tried to set something up on my laptop and failed. It was decided that with all the stuff I need to run on it, 3gb of RAM is simply not enough, so I've been allowed to order an 8gb RAM kit for it. Unfortunately this will also necessitate a rebuild with 64-bit Windows since when I got it, there were a few things that didn't run on 64-bit so I stuck with 32-bit. Also it had it's first reboot in about three weeks.

Watched a couple of early South Park episodes this evening before kicking off Mass Effect 2 with my latest save. Somewhat annoyingly it crashed after the intro sequence so I had to go through it again, and you can't skip it. After a full game of Mass Effect, the sequel takes a little while to get used to. I did get loads of bonuses though since this Shepard was at a really high level, had done loads of stuff and had lots and lots of money. I need to get cracking on it if I'm going to finish it before ME3 comes out though...

On Monday I saw a free bike on the noticeboard and was the first to claim it. It's a Specialized Hardrock mountain bike from about 6 years ago. It would be a pretty good bike if it hadn't been left out in the rain. It's all there but the brakes, gears and chain are rusted and the suspension fork is siezed. I think it's got potential though. It's a much better candidate for restoration than anything else I have since it's modern, so much easier to get parts for.

Really tired this evening, not sure why. I had an awesome dream the other night where it was like a downhill bike event but on office chairs, and sometimes you had to pick up the chair and run with it over obstacles. It was really good fun and I was quite disappointed to wake up from it.

No comments: