Wednesday 27 June 2007

2nd Processor Joy and a singing Tesla Coil

Well, I finally got hold of a Dell 8R578, the heatsink I needed. It was brand new and still had the thermal gunk on it. I cleaned that off in favour of some Arctic Silver and popped it all in. It works fine and the fan activity is no more than it was with the single CPU. Performance has definitely improved, so that's good. The old-school 2.4ghz Xeons don't really compare to the new Core series but it seems to run nicely enough for what I need. The only other thing I might upgrade is the graphics card, but that probably isn't necessary.

I also got my Xbox Live 12 months voucher today so got that all activated and sorted. Will and I jumped into Gears of War and spent some time battling our way along a train for some reason. And the the final boss appeared which caused Will some dismay as he hadn't managed to get past it. But all it seemed to take was some strategic timed gunfire and that was it - end of game. To be fair, it's a very good game and well put together and it looks amazing too, it just seemed a lot shorter than I expected.

Now this is terrifying - someo worked out how to make a Tesla coil play music...

Amazing.

It reminds me of when someone worked out how to make a Commodore 64 disk drive play music by vibrating the read/write heads, and I think you could do something similar with early dot-matrix printers. Next thing they'll be making the Krupp Bagger 288 dance.

Also some of these people in Gordon Brown's team sount like they're made up. Ed Balls? Tom Scholar? Oh dear! Imagine going through life with a name like Ed Balls (says the guy with a name no-one can pronounce).

Also someone, finally, took a stand and refused to do the Paris Hilton story, to the point of setting it on fire live on camera, this was Mika Brzezinski on MSNBC news. Check it out. Probably a publicity stunt, but fun nonetheless.

No comments: