Friday 22 June 2007

2nd Processor Woes

I got the parts for my Precision 450 2nd processor finally, except the heatsink wasn't the right one. For some reason the sockets are mounted at right angles to each other, so if you were to put the heatsink from CPU 0 on CPU 1, the vanes are at right angles to the airflow. So that was no use. I did power it up briefly like this and the VRM and 2nd CPU worked fine, but if the processor had to do any actual work it would have run too hot. So now I need to source Dell part number 8R578, which is the correct heatsink. There were a couple on Ebay UK that ended at the end of May - typical! Other than that there is a place that has them in the UK for £32, a tad pricey. The other possibility would be ditch the Dell heatsinks and airflow shroud entirely and get some other Xeon coolers but getting them to fit might be a problem.

Oh well. In other news I am unbelievably glad it's Friday.

No comments: