Sunday 8 July 2007

BBQ and a crappy car boot

Firefox just crashed. Bah.

Yesterday involved taking the dog out for an early morning work, checking the oil in the Discovery, and going to a BBQ at Em's parent's house. The dog walk went well, the oil check...not so well. I accidentally put too much in and so I had to go underneath and drain some out again. This would have been relatively easy except that the drain plug was so tight I had to go right underneath and brace my whole body against the front wheel to even move it. This was right after I'd just had a shower and clean clothes. Bah!

The BBQ was great. It was a good day all round, the sun was hot, the drinks were cold, and the food was plentiful. The burgers and steak were really good, but I think we all overdosed on Doritos.

Today wasn't too bad, Will, Lorna and I went to the big car boot in Rhyl. Despite the gloomy overcast weather, it was quite big, and we spent some time wandering around. The only thing of any interest was what looked like an electrotherapy machine, which can be used to gently short-circuit and overload electronics. But it wasn't clear what it was, so we left it. Later on I took the dog for a walk after an aborted attempt where ludicrous hail suddenly started falling.

Oddly enough we encountered three women in a Hyundai Coupe who passed us on the way down the village, and then deliberately waited for us. The reason being one of them had just lost a whippet who was very similar to the Idiot Hound in every way except for size and wanted to take a look at him. Fortunately he's a patient creature on the whole and the three women cooing over him didn't phase him much, even when the women who lost the whippet grabbed him in a big hug.

Watched some bits of Artificial Intelligence this afternoon. It has good parts in it, but the whole film is a bit of a drag. I got it for £2 on DVD about three years ago and had never watched any of it.

Someone discovered that Lego men heads fit onto LEDs. So you can make them have scary glowing eyes. When I saw this I imagined a RAID array or something wired up so all the activity LEDs were Lego men with flickering eyes. But then I am a hapless geek.

I very briefly experimented with a couple of old Windows CE devices, a Sharp HC-4100 and an Ericsson MC12 (rebadged HP 320LX), running Windows CE 2.0 and 1.0 respectively. Odd machines. I was hoping to get them on the network, but the PCMCIA card I had didn't fit. Oh well. Not sure what I'd do with them on the network anyway.

No comments: