Monday 16 July 2007

ULTRA GAN!

While on the way up from Cardiff yesterday, I bought a copy of Games TM to read. I only got a chance to glance at it today though, and there was a feature on Grand Theft Auto IV. Being a huge fan of the GTA series, this was quite interesting. From the sound of it, the whole thing has been completely reengineered. Things like escaping the police, getting missions, and even colliding with people on the pavement are much better. Also if the graphics are anything like the images in the magazine, it should look amazing too.

So yeah, a bit excited. The GAN is kicking in again. Rob, Will and I went through this last year, in anticipation of the Wii launch. In case you are wondering what GAN is, it was spawned during a chat session with Will. You know if you're really excited about something, and you have uncontrollable movements? It was like a typed version of that. Initially it was just 'ULTRA GAN!' but as the moment drew closer and the anticipation peaked, a whole dictionary of GAN phases were built up:

GAN = the anticipation that something longed for isn't far away.

ULTRA GAN = GAN, but more so.

FANYGAN = the sensation that the something may be thwarted.

YANGAN = the knowledge that you won't be disappointed. Can shift suddenly between this and FANYGAN.

PIKGAN = even though the event is quite close really, it still feels a long time.

CLACKGAN = when you hit yourself over the head with a wooden spoon from ganning too much.

GLOONGAN = making yourself mentally ill from all the GAN going on.

NIDGAN = a result of GLOONGAN, where you say things like 'BIG MASSIVE HARD GAN IN MY MOUTH SPRAYING Wii UNTIL I CHOKE!!!', which scares your friends away.

ZENGAN = Getting close, and somehow you pass through the excitement and anticipation into a strange calm state.

TRENCHGAN = When the ZENGAN wears off, and the risk of GLOONGAN, CLACKGAN and perhaps even NIDGAN starts to grow again.

I was inspired by the night in Cardiff to listen to 'No Limits' by 2Unlimited. Before I am pelted with rocks, let me explain. Back when it was new in the early 90's, I was a rigid metalhead, if it didn't have distorted guitars, I didn't want to know. Anything else was regarded with disgust. Well, since then, I have expanded my musical tastes. So I listened to that track all the way through for the first time ever with an open mind. And well, OK, it's pretty bad. It's repetitive, the singing and rapping are annoying and it is just not very good.

Given that I had a day off today, I achieved pretty much nothing. I was quite tired most of the day. I did however clean off the iBook, having realised that it had rather a lot of gunk on the trackpad and wristrests. Also realised that there was a ridiculous amount of crap in my mailbox, which I went through and sorted out.

Started reading Notes from an Exhibition by Patrick Gale, which isn't bad.

Can you believe there's a game for the PlayStation called 'Irritating Stick'?

No comments: