Tuesday 31 July 2007

Disaster! Disaster!

Just spent two days in Birmingham assisting with disaster recovery testing. Not very interesting, it basically amounts to loading all the tapes into a library down there and restoring the systems back onto test boxes and seeing if they work. It was quite dull, and some worked, some didn't. So far anyway. I came back today but some people are there all week and some are coming and going. It was quite interesting at the place though, they have absolute shedloads of equipment, so they can match what your systems are.

Got a lift there with a guy from work who has an elderly but very comfortable BMW 518i and then got a train back this evening. The trains were OK. I'm still not sure if I got the one I was supposed to from Crewe, but it still stopped at Rhyl so that was fine. One taxi ride later I was retrieving my car. I bought a book in New Street Station (huge, intimidating and incomprehensible) called 'A Spot of Bother' by Mark Haddon. I'm about half way through and it's quite odd. He also wrote 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time', which was interesting.

I forgot to mention that I saw a shining example of utter stupidity on Sunday. Not far from home is a village with very dodgy crossroads. It has one road that joins at a very sharp angle, and a lot of people tend to treat it like a slip road and barely look before pulling out. Well, I was coming along and some guy in a new red Vectra pulled out without looking, while putting on his seatbelt. Luckily nothing was coming the other way so I was able to go round him while blaring my horn and he absolutely shat himself and nearly went into the wall trying to get out of my way. The best part is that if I'd hit him, he wouldn't have had his seat belt on. Mind you, I have rarely seen anyone look so terrified so perhaps he learnt his lesson.

Back to work tomorrow. Boo.

No comments: